Welcome to the 2020 Wahoo Swim and Dive season!
Swim and Dive team practices began on June 15th for current members of the Woodmont pool who have also registered for the team. It is very important that our coaches know who will be coming to practices so they can plan appropriately according to social distancing guidelines. No walk-ins!
If you are looking for additional information not found here about the Woodmont Wahoos in Bon Air, VA, please contact us using the Contact Us link under the About tab.
Team Registration is Open!
2020 Season Details
Our first priority is the health and safety of our WRA families. To that end, we will follow guidelines and standards of safety from the CDC, VA’s governor, and USA Swimming during the 2020 swim/dive season.
Unlike normal seasons, in order to qualify for the team, this year swimmers must be able to swim the full length of the pool unassisted and without stopping. To ensure we’re observing social distancing guidelines, and to protect our swimmers, coaches, and community, the coaches will not be able to provide the hands-on attention inexperienced swimmers often require.
As in past years, coaches will also be offering private, individual lessons to swimmers/divers (~$15-20 for 30 min) on technical aspects of swimming or diving, but not “learning to swim” this year, unfortunately.
Practices will start on June 15 and you MUST be registered before your child can participate.
We hope we can offer the same number of practices as a normal season, but depending on the number of swimmers and divers who register and our new protocols to keep kids safe, practice schedules may be different as well as the manner in which practices will be conducted. In general, we will:
- Try to schedule practices for age groups in the same general windows of time, as in previous years, but alternate schedules may be offered.
- Likely limit the number of individuals per practice session (max of 18 - 3 per lane)
- Try to keep siblings in the same lane when they are close in age/swimming level
- No kickboards will be used
Because of social distancing restrictions, regular competitive meets with other swim clubs will not be held this year and we will not be participating under the James River Aquatics Club (JRAC) directive. And there will be no Champs. We will, however:
- Conduct two “intrasquad” meets with our own Wahoo swimmers at the Woodmont Pool - one mid-season and one towards season’s end.
- Have limited volunteer requirements!! A small number of volunteers will be needed at these meets but there will be no hospitality, clerk of course, announcer, or head table.
- Provide ribbons on a limited basis - i.e., participation ribbons for younger swimmers
PLEASE talk to your child about these rules before the first practice! In this very different year, we ask that parents, swimmers, and divers partner with us to help keep everyone safe by adhering to our new guidelines. All parents will need to sign that they and their kids have read and will abide by these guidelines during registration:
- Listening to the coaches is essential
- Maintaining a 10ft distance from other swimmers in and out of the pool (no touching!)
- We will have a 3 warning system where swimmers will be dismissed from practice for the day if they do not follow the guidelines after repeated warnings
- Please do not send your child to practice if they are not feeling well. Athletes will be checked in each day and will be sent home if they appear to not be feeling well.